?Manchester United are fast running out of time to complete the signing of Bruno Fernandes before Friday’s deadline and the transfer window has now officially reached peak silliness after a random teenager at the club’s training ground was ?mistaken for €25m-rated Sander Berge.
So far, United haven’t signed anyone this month and are yet to break the stalemate in the stubbornly fruitless ongoing Fernandes negotiations.
The saga rumbles on…
Fresh United Bid
From The Guardian comes a story of a renewed late push and a ‘fresh bid’ for Fernandes. It is explained that United have previously had a €45m plus add-ons offer rejected by Sporting CP, whose valuation is said to be as much as €85m – is it somehow getting higher?
Crucially, the ‘lines of communication are still open’ and a second formal United bid is to be expected. However, it is unlikely to exceed a base price of €55m (£46.5m), and that is still actually kind of where we were at with this saga last week – in fact, twice.
Conversely, an Impasse
The stance from The Independent is less optimistic as it is claimed that United are now ‘prepared to close the window without a major signing’. That doesn’t sound great and matches up with what David Ornstein of The Athletic wrote earlier this week.
The story focuses on the idea that the clubs have reached an impasse in the negotiations. It is said there remains a gap of up to £20m between what United are prepared to offer and what Sporting are willing to accept, with no sign of either being ready to compromise.
The same report explains how United are actively looking ahead to the summer transfer window as well. The implication is that while Fernandes is still wanted at the right price, overpaying for him could be detrimental to attempts to land James Maddison or Jack Grealish in due course.
A Bizarre Twist From Spain
Tottenham were trying to sign Fernandes last summer, but United have had a free run at the player – so far, at least. That could all change as Spanish outlet Super Deporte suddenly now paints Barcelona as a major competitor in what could end up being a very confusing twist.
It is claimed that Barcelona want to sign Fernandes for next season. However, they could make their move now instead, but then immediately loan him to Valencia for the remainder of this campaign. In turn, that would help grease the wheels in their more pressing pursuit of Valencia forward Rodrigo.
AS also reports on Barcelona interest, but has a slightly different take on the Valencia part. In their version, rather than go on loan this season, Fernandes would head down the coast next season and spend the duration of 2020/21 at Estadio Mestalla.
That seems like a very odd and overly convoluted strategy from Barcelona.
For more from Jamie Spencer, follow him on Twitter and Facebook!