Liverpool told me I'd replace Coutinho, says Marseille star Lopez

Maxime Lopez says he was wanted as a long-term successor to Philippe Coutinho at Liverpool, only to reject the club’s advances.

Rising Marseille star Maxime Lopez claims he turned down the chance to join Liverpool two seasons ago.

The 19-year-old has forced his way into Rudi Garcia’s first-team plans at Stade Velodrome this term, making 22 starts in all competitions.

Pogba’s shocking stats against Chelsea

Barcelona have been linked with a move for the midfielder but he pledged his future to Marseille only last month by signing a new four-year contract.

Lopez has now said that he could have moved to Anfield in the 2014-15 campaign as a long-term replacement for Brazil star Philippe Coutinho, who was himself linked with Barca before renewing his own contract in January.

Fier d’avoir prolongé avec mon club de cœur! Merci à tous pour votre soutien! Prochain objectif: Rennes samedi!  #TeamOM  #ML27 #2021 pic.twitter.com/uq7fZdsN29

— Maxime Lopez (@lopezmaxime1) February 16, 2017

Confirming concrete interest from Liverpool he told L’Equipe: “They said to me: ‘In five years, you’ll be playing in Coutino’s spot’. They approached me in a positive way. I even met Steven Gerrard at the stadium after the game.

“I wanted to go there but I also wanted to stay at OM. Leaving like that, at that age – even with your family – is very tough. I noted that they had a squad of 30 youth players, not to mention the first-team players. You really have to be mentally prepared.”

About The Author

admin

Other posts by

Author his web site

14

03 2017

Your Comment